Young breeder scholarship
Applications are invited from young people who have shown aptitude and skill in breeding waterfowl.
Following the death of Christopher Marler in July 2019, his family have generously offered to fund a ten-year series of grants to be made in his name. These are to encourage young people who aspire to go further with their waterfowl; who will rise to a challenge and share Christopher’s passion for excellence in aviculture.
The criteria for applications are:
• Age under 25 on 1st October
• Have been a member of the BWA for at least six months
• Be proposed by a past or present BWA member
• Have shown outstanding commitment to waterfowl and good welfare in at least one of the following categories:
- Exhibiting domestic waterfowl
- Breeding, documenting and improving specific bloodlines of domestic waterfowl
- Breeding ornamental waterfowl, particularly those usually considered challenging
- Assisting their peers to enter/continue the hobby with excellent standards of husbandry
• A supporting statement as to how the award will be used
• Applicants will be expected to uphold the core values of the BWA
If a suitable candidate is not forthcoming in any year, the award will be held over. If two suitable applicants are equally tied on merit, the awarding panel may make more than one grant, or divide the monies between them. The decision of the awarding panel is final.
The sum of the initial grant is £500. Applications must be made by 1st October each year and the winner will be announced at the AGM the following February. A member of the Marler family will endeavour to present the award at this event. It is hoped that this award will assist the winner with equipment or a training course to further their success. With a continued fundraising appeal for the grant, the BWA would like this to run beyond the proposed 10-year period.
Successful applicants will be expected to provide a report to the BWA on their progress following the award; for publication on the Association’s website and in Waterfowl magazine.
An application form is available here